T20 World Cup 2022
India tasted the first defeat of the T20 World cup 2022 from South Africa, a team which looked similar in almost every department.
However, the major difference that appeared yesterday was the cause and the reason for South Africa’s win and India’s defeat.
Before that, we need to understand the team combination which India and South Africa opted.
South Africa Team Combination
The team management of South Africa went for one less spinner and opted for a pacer instead in the form of Lungi Ngidi, which played the deciding role in the match. Lungi Ngidi took 4 very important wickets and broke India’s backbone.
South Africa did not go for Tabrez Shamsi as they understood that the wicket is going to assist the pacer and India plays well against the spinners.
Lungi Ngidi has a very good record against India and has a record of taking a wicket at every 12 balls. Especially against India, his record is better.
So the team combination of South Africa opting for only one spinner in form of Keshav Maharaj and going with 4 pacers has proved to give better fruits.
Indian Team Combination
In my opinion, why Deepak Hooda was in the team? Axar Patel was a better option compared to Deepak Hood. Axar being the left-hander gives the left and the right combination and creates problems for the bowlers.
If you really want to play a single spinner then Axar was a better option compared to Ashwin, again Axar is a better batsman than Aswhin and of course a better fielder as well.
So, in my opinion, Axar should have been in the team either in place of Hooda or in place of Ashwin.
Where India Made Mistakes
- India won the toss and elected to bat first, Rohit is aware that their strength is chasing and not defending. They are already a bowler short and will be difficult to defend even a good total against formidable Proteas.
- Lost early wickets in the powerplay, again, a form of KL Rahul is in question now. Three consecutive failures are costing India.
- Except for Surya, none of the Indian batters could handle the pace of Proteas, they perished due to pace. If you take away Surya’s runs from the score then India would have bundled out below 80.
- Fielding made the difference between the two sides especially catching. Rabada took three catches in the match out of which two brilliant catches and one simple catch. South Africa did not drop a single catch, whereas India dropped 2 catches and missed one run-out chance.
- The catch dropped by Virat, the best fielder in the Indian team proved to be a match costly.
The next matches against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe will be very crucial for India to stay in the hunt for Semifinal. Any loss or tie will hurt India in the world cup.
The match against Bangladesh will be very significant now looking at the scenario in the group. Both Bangladesh and India have played the same number of matches and are having the same 4 points. Win or loss will decide the spot in Semi-final.
Probable Team For The Next Match
Looking at the current form of KL Rahul and the injury of Dinesh Karthik, India may go with Rishabh Pant in the next match. Having said that how critical is the injury to Dinesh Karthik is to wait till the confirmation come. However, KL Rahul may be replaced by Rishabh Pant and Dinesh will be doing fielding and Pant will keep wickets if this happens.
Chahal should be given a chance in place of Ashwin against Bangladesh.
So Pant or Kohli may open with Rohit if KL Rahul is replaced. So below could be the probable playing 11 for the match against Bangladesh on the 2nd of November.
Axar must be replaced by Deepak Hooda.
Indian Probable Playing 11
- Rohit Sharma, 2. Rishabh Pant, 3. Virat Kohli, 4. Surya Kumar Yadav, 5. Hardik Pandya, 6. Dinesh Karthik, 7. Axar Patel, 8. Bhuvaneshwar Kumar, 9. Mohammad Shami, 10. Yuzvendra Chahal, 11. Arshdeep singh
India’s Upcoming Matches in T20 World Cup
India Vs Bangladesh
Date: 02-Nov-2022 Wednesday
Time: 1:30 pm (India Time)
Venue: Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
India Vs Zimbabwe
Date: 06-Nov-2022 Sunday
Time: 1:30 pm (India Time)
Venue: MCG, Melbourne